Are you experiencing white shingles on your roof in Baltimore? Are you wondering what could be causing this? In this blog post, we will discuss the most common causes of white shingles in the area and explore potential treatments.
Causes of White Shingles
- Algae Growth - Baltimore's humid climate can promote algae growth on shingles, creating a white or greenish appearance.
- Fungus Growth - Another common cause of white shingles is fungus growth. Fungus thrives in warm, moist environments, which is common in Baltimore.
- Weathering - Over time, shingles can deteriorate due to weathering, causing them to lose their color and become white.
- Poor Ventilation - Poor ventilation can cause moisture to build up under shingles, leading to mold and mildew growth and potentially causing shingles to turn white.
Treatments for White Shingles
- Clean Roof - To prevent algae growth, it's important to keep your roof clean. Consider having a professional clean your roof regularly.
- Apply Fungicide - Fungus growth can be treated with a fungicide that can be applied to the roof.
- Replace Shingles - If the shingles are past their lifespan, or the damage is extensive, it's recommended to replace the shingles.
- Improve Ventilation - Improving ventilation can help regulate temperature and moisture levels, preventing mold and mildew growth.
White shingles on your roof in Baltimore can be an eyesore and a sign of potential damage. It's important to address the issue quickly to prevent further damage. If you're unsure of the cause of the white shingles, or the extent of the damage, consider consulting with a professional roofing contractor.
Take care of your roof, and it will take care of you!